Benefits and Disadvantages of Curd: Curd, also known as yogurt in many parts of the world, is a dairy product that is created through the fermentation of milk by certain beneficial bacteria. The process of making curd involves adding specific bacterial cultures, typically Lactobacillus bulgaricus and Streptococcus thermophilus, to milk. These bacteria convert the lactose (milk sugar) in the milk into lactic acid through fermentation. Curd is a favourite food worldwide due to its numerous benefits. It is often considered even more beneficial than milk and is valued for both health and beauty. In addition to its popularity in our country, people around the world include yogurt in their diets.
Doctors and dietitians recommend consuming a bowl of yogurt for lunch due to its many nutritional elements. Fresh yogurt is rich in nutrients that are beneficial for our bodies. Unlike milk, yogurt has very little fat, and yogurt made from low-fat milk contains virtually no fat.
Benefits and Properties of Yogurt
Yogurt is incredibly beneficial for urban dwellers. Here, we can provide you with information about the benefits and drawbacks of yogurt.
Nutritional Components Present in Yogurt
- Calories: 100-150
- Fat: 2 grams
- Sugar: 20 grams
- Protein: 8-9 grams
- Vitamin D: 20 grams
- Calcium: 20 grams
Additionally, yogurt contains phosphorus, iron, and lactose. Yogurt has many advantages, which I will explain to you today, along with how and when to consume it.
Benefits and Properties of Yogurt
Beneficial for Health
- Heart Health: Nowadays, heart-related issues are not limited to old age; even younger individuals face these problems due to their modern lifestyles. To prevent such issues, consuming yogurt is recommended. Regular yogurt consumption helps in heart care. It lowers cholesterol levels and helps control high blood pressure.
- Boosts Immunity: Yogurt contains beneficial bacteria that enhance our body’s ability to fight against harmful microorganisms, both inside and outside the body. Eating yogurt boosts immunity and helps prevent various illnesses.
- Strengthens Bones: Yogurt is a rich source of calcium, which is essential for strong bones and teeth.
- Improves Digestion: Yogurt aids in proper digestion and helps alleviate problems like constipation, gas, and acidity.
- Ulcer Prevention: Yogurt can protect the stomach from ulcers and certain types of cancers.
- Weight Management: Yogurt provides a feeling of fullness for an extended period, reducing overall food intake. It contains high protein and calcium, which are beneficial for weight control. Yogurt is also low in calories and helps in shedding extra pounds.
- Glowing Skin: Applying yogurt on the face can bring a natural glow to the skin and help in tan removal.
- Acne and Blemish Control: Mixing yogurt with besan (gram flour), lemon juice, or orange peel powder and applying it to the face for 15 minutes can help reduce acne, blemishes, and dark spots.
- Moisturizing: Yogurt acts as a natural conditioner for hair, providing moisture to the strands.
- Consuming yogurt during hot days helps prevent heat strokes and keeps the body cool.
- Buttermilk made from yogurt helps alleviate mouth ulcers.
- Avoid consuming yogurt at night, as it may have adverse effects on health.
- If you eat yogurt at night, mix it with salt, black pepper, or sugar, and brush your teeth before sleeping.
- Avoid yogurt right after sun exposure.
- Don’t eat yogurt in combination with beef, as they are considered incompatible foods.
- Individuals with hemorrhoids (piles) should exercise caution with yogurt.
- Regular yogurt consumption can lead to weight gain, so those looking to lose weight should opt for low-fat yogurt made from skimmed milk.
Disadvantages of Yogurt
May Aggravate Arthritis
For individuals with arthritis, yogurt can be problematic. Consuming yogurt can exacerbate joint pain for such individuals. It is important for them to consult a doctor before including yogurt in their diet.
Not Recommended for Diabetics
Diabetic patients need to be cautious when consuming yogurt. Overconsumption of yogurt can negatively affect blood sugar levels and worsen diabetes. It’s crucial for them to monitor their yogurt intake carefully.
Excessive consumption of yogurt, especially during hot or cold weather, can lead to swelling of the throat muscles, which may result in tonsil problems. Therefore, it’s advisable to consume yogurt in moderation, especially in extreme weather conditions.
Avoid Excessively Sour Yogurt
Yogurt with high acidity can cause heartburn and gas-related issues. It’s best to limit or avoid yogurt that is overly sour.
When to Consume Yogurt
Yogurt is most beneficial when consumed in the morning or during the afternoon. During these times, the nutrients like protein, zinc, and calcium in yogurt are absorbed effectively by the body. It’s important to ensure that the yogurt is fresh.
When eating yogurt, pay attention to the recommended serving size, as excessive consumption can have adverse effects on health. Always opt for fresh yogurt, and avoid yogurt that is excessively sour.